|Sautéed green peppers, purple onions, and sliced tomato|
Mini Burgers on a Sweet Potato "Bun"
A fun twist on the traditional burger, these “bergers” ditch the grain bun for a roasted sweet potato. This recipe is great when you need to throw something together quick for dinner but still want a flavorful veggie boost!
For the Burgers
- 1 large Sweet Potato
- 1 pound grass-fed ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 large green bell pepper (sliced)
- 1 red onion (sliced)
- 1 clove fresh garlic (minced)
- 1 tsp hummus or mustard (per burger)
- 1 roma tomato (sliced (optional garnish))
- romaine lettuce (garnish, optional)
Burger Seasoning Mix
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. Himalayan or sea salt
Prepare the "Buns"
- Preheat your oven broiler.
- Slice sweet potato into 8, 1/4″ thick rounds and place evenly on a lightly greased baking pan, do not overlap. Place under broiler 2 rack-rungs from the top and cook for 6-7 minutes, or until browned, not burned.
- Remove and flip to alternative side, return to oven and cook another 4-5 minutes until soft throughout and browned. Set aside when finished cooking.
Prepare the Burgers
- Preheat a large round pan over medium heat.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all of the seasonings evenly with the ground beef/meat. Form into 8 flat, even-sized balls and flatten into burgers.
- Chop the onion and pepper into slices and mince the garlic; set aside.
- Place burgers into the hot pan and allow to cook for 2 minutes. Cover and continue cooking another 5 minutes or until you cannot see any pink on the up side. Flip burgers and cook another 3-5 minutes to desired doneness. When burgers are finished, transfer to a plate and cover.
- Add the onion and pepper to the hot pan directly into the juice from the burgers. Cook for about 5 minutes or until they reach desired doneness. Stir in the garlic and add the burgers back into the pan to reheat.
- Build your burgers with one sweet potato slice on the bottom, adding the sauteed veggies, tomato, burger, and hummus/mustard (or other desired toppings). Enjoy!
Plan for about 2 burgers per serving. Each recipe will make 8 burgers, 4 servings.