Okay so we are seriously obsessed with this recipe. Official dinner staple.
Wondering how to prepare those winter squashes?
Why I love this Recipe:
First, any dish that’s loaded with veggies I feel great about eating, especially when you don’t even realize they are there! Second, it makes wonderful leftovers for a quick lunch the next day. Third, delicious. period.
Roasting squash if simple. Slice, Scoop, bake, and scoop again. Enjoy
Twice-Baked Mediterranean Stuffed Squash
- 2 Acorn, Kobacha, or Buttercup Squash cut in half, seeds removed
- 1 pound ground lamb may use ground beef or turkey
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 large carrot chopped
- 1/2 pound Brussels sprouts or broccoli cut into quarters or florets
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 Tablespoon oregano or Italian seasonin
- fresh rosemary chopped for garnish, optional
Prepare the Squash
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Cut squash in half long-ways and scoop out seeds. Place cut side down in a baking pan and add a 1/2" of water to the bottom. Bake for about 1 hour or until the skin is soft and pushes-in easily. Center should scoop out easily.
While the squash is baking...
- Chop all the vegetables according to directions.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add ground meat and cook for 2-3 minutes, breaking meat apart with spatula. Stir in minced garlic.
- Add the chopped vegetables (carrots, peppers, Brussels sprouts/broccoli) and tomatoes; stir in herbs, salt, and pepper. Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes until vegetables are tender.
Putting it all together
- Remove squash from oven Using a spoon, scoop out most of the cooked squash from the shell, leaving a thin lining of squash covering the inside.
- Stir the cooked squash in the skillet with vegetables. Stir until the squash, vegetables, and meat are evenly combined.
- Fill the empty squash shells with the meat and vegetable mixture. Return the squash to the oven and broil on center rack for 3-4 minutes to brown top (optional).